Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Is the NBA to where it was during the Jordan era?

As I sit in the library during my office hours, I would like to discuss the state of the NBA. The game somewhat fallen off since Jordan retired(I consider him retired after he left the Bulls. That stint in a Wizards uniform does not count in my opinion.). I would make the legitamate arguement that only the true basketball fan could have appreciated the NBA from then until now, even now in some instance. There is the reason for the game falling off being that there are no superstars anymore like there were back then. I would let time answer that debate as only time will tell if the players nowadays can be looked back and considered a superstar. Granted that was the era of the dream team but nowadays people yearn for the restoration of the "dynasty." The Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls were all classified as dynastic during the glory years of the NBA. Even in the modern era we have a dynasty known as the San Antonio Spurs yet people do not like them because they are considered "boring." In most cases they are but as mentioned before, only the basketball junkie would appreciate them. They do not cause trouble, they do not sag their shorts, hell their jerseys rarely come untucked. Yet people seem to not like them because they are "boring" and truthfully they are to the extent that only a basketball fan would like them. I do not like the Spurs at all. My heart lies with the Detroit Pistons and Steve Nash as mentioned before. 2 of the last 3 years both of my basketball favs have come face to face with the Spurs and have fallen. One of the highlights of my summer was just 2 days after I was 5 feet from David Beckham, and actually said something to him and he responded with a smile, did I meet Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs. I had a somewhat intelligent conversation with him in a locker room at a hotel in San Antonio. He was just a down to earth guy. Back to my argument of the alleged lack of superstars in today's game, but I would argue that there are just as many today as there were back then. Granted I am partial to my era, I could the last half of the Jordan era. But I have been witness to the Kobe/Shaq era and the Spurs era. I feel that there are an abundance of good players and that is what makes the league exciting. Steve Nash should have won his third consecutive MVP last year but the powers that be in the NBA sabotaged the vote(or so my conspiracy theorist mind likes to think) and gave it to Dirk because they did not want to put some 6'0 white guy with the likes of Larry and Micheal. The NBA has an abundance of talent now just give it time and actually watch with an open mind out of love for the game and you will soon discover that the NBA does have superstars.

Like to give a shout out to my professor's blog, http://dcatblog.blogspot.com/, this is the quality to which I hope my blog will be at someday. I just have to get caught up with politics and not to mention improve my writing skills and vocabulary to be there. His is a very interesting read. Be back tomorrow...

No comments: