Monday, March 10, 2008

Finally Someone is Speaking the Truth

*want to apologize to Catsam and Bob Ryan but after reading your blogs today, they hit home for me.

I thought that I was alone in this world, really. For the last 4 years I have said that Brett Favre was a good not great quarterback and finally at least two people see it my way: Derek Catsam and Bob Ryan. I have harped it for years that Favre is not among the greats. Despite the fact that he does hold every record possible for a qb to attain, he's still not considered as a great for one reason, and yes that was a pun. The pun in which I refer to is the one SuperBowl that he won. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson also won one SuperBowl. While a comparison between Favre and the two mentioned would be deemed blasphemous in the football world, it is relevant because it is true. I state my case in the fact that in the games in which Favre, Johnson, and Dilfer won, a non-offensive player was ordained MVP. In Favre's case, a man who's most famous moment was misconstruing the Heisman pose in one Desmond Howard. I'm not saying that one must attain a SuperBowl and win MVP honors to be great but it sure would help his cause. The major knock on Marino is that he never won a SuperBowl but one must keep in mind that during his era, he faced three of the five dynasties in pro football: Steelers, Niners, and Cowboys. For this fact, I can not hold him responsible for this as some will argue that he was in fact the greatest passer. As for his iron man streak, it is and always will be very impressive. I can only debunk that by just saying that he is just very lucky to never have sustained any serious injury plain and simple. Packer fans are similar in that they will be bias when it comes to the discussion as to who is the best qb just as Cowboy fans will be. According to Bob Ryan, he says that Favre isn't even the best qb in his team's history but that's neither here or there. Cheese heads will claim that the man who walks on water and gargles peanut butter(Favre) is. Cowboy fans will also make the assertion that Emmitt Smith is the best running back. Any real football fan would not put him in the top 5 rb's in the history. To any football fan Jim Brown was undoubtedly the best at the position. I find it hard to consider Favre as a top 5 qb. During the years in which he played, I would make the argument that he was not even one of the top 5 qbs, let alone top 3. While the records are great and look good to the naive fan, I, along with others view them as yea but...

No comments: